Thursday, April 12, 2007

irrrrron chef-u

Looking through some old pictures yesterday (further perpetuating my procrastination for a good hour), I came across my pictures of the Iron Chef contest months ago between Iron Chef Derrick Huang and Iron Chef John Belliveau-Flores (a.k.a. John BF, John BoyFriend...and many other names).

Iron Chef is my second favorite show on Food Network (second to A Cook's Tour, though it is no longer on the air). Chen Kenichi was always my favorite chef; He's so cute and goofy and always gets the job done. Hiroyuki Sakai had that weird pimple between his eyebrows and Morimoto was pretty cool but not nearly as talented as Chen-san. It's a shame that Food Network no longer airs the Japanese original, as it is so much better than Iron Chef America. Bobby Flay and Mario Batali are way too pompous, cocky, and ANNOYING! The judges are too whiny and picky and always seem to get into arguments with each other. And, I've never seen a fight with Morimoto in it! Why does everyone want to challenge Flay??

Iron Chef captured a passion for food competition in a way only the Japanese could do right: sensuously descriptive, honorably talented, and dramatically over-the-top! Common, Chairman Kaga vs. Chairman Decascos, one's the man and one's a little bitch (oops, did I just say that?). But, we make due with what we can get and watch on as Flay's head gets even bigger, though I love that he always loses at Throwdown - HA!

Back to our little rendition:
If I remember correctly, I believe this was the third year in the making, both chefs having one win under their belt. Our battle? Battle Apple! (Good idea right? Guess who came up with it) Though I showed up a bit late, the cooking was pretty intense, with both chefs almost falling on top of each other given the limited kitchen space. But, all worked out and, without further adieu, here are their dishes:

Iron Chef John's Dishes

Apple Sauce with Kumquat and Red Courants
and Apple slice with Brie

Lamp Chop with Apple, Raisin, & Onion Chutney
and Apple & Apricot Risotto

Baked Apple with Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, Raisins, & Walnuts
and Vanilla Ice Cream

Iron Chef Derrick's Dishes

Sea Scallops with Apple, Lime, & Cilantro
paired with Honey

Pan Seared Duck with Sauteed Apples in an Egg Wrap
paired with Hoisin Sauce

I wasn't on the judging panel but I did get to taste their creations. They were all quite delicious and some very inventive (like the apple risotto). I think Derrick had a slight handicap since fruit generally isn't used in Chinese cuisine for savory dishes.

The verdict? I might wait till next post to reveal. Consider it, a commercial break =P

No comments: