Friday, April 13, 2007

dim sum.

More likely than not, if I'm going out for a relaxing Sunday brunch, you can find me in Chinatown (or Little Neck/Flushing if I'm back home) for some dim sum! Dim Sum (a.k.a. yum cha) is best enjoyed in large groups, as you can order more dishes and taste more variety (and not feel like a fatty, though I tend to order the same amount in small groups =P). In Hong Kong, there was an awesome tradition of 4AM dim sum, since there was nothing better to do around campus. Though I can't say I had amazing dim sum in Hong Kong, it was always accessable and delicious.

The greesy, oily goodness on the right is wu gok, made with a mashed taro and meat/mushroom filling and fried in a crispy batter. Obviously, with my love of carbs, I am drawn to all the bao's and gao's - carbbbbbssss ::droool:: Some of my other favorites include: shrimp dumplings (ha gao), pork dumplings (siu mai), shrimp rice noodle rolls (ha cheong), pork buns (cha siu bao), phoenix talons (fung zau), intestines (niu du), Chinese sponge cake (ma lai gao), glutinous rice in a lotus leaf (no mai gai), sweet milk buns (nai wong bao), and egg tarts (dan tat)! Ha, and that's just the start of what I order.

You have the freedom to try anything and everything you want (and practice your Cantonese skills...or lack thereof).

Mm goiii!!

-----
Oh yea. Before I forget.
So, who's cuisine reigns supreme??
Iron Chef John BF!
And luckily, Derrick took it well.

No comments: